Sunday, September 25, 2011

Poop Stains Cloth

My wife and I are using cloth diapers on our twin girls.

There are plenty of reasons to do it.   We do it for the environment.  It is amazing how much garbage you generate with disposable diapers.  Having two babies pooping and peeing ever few hours makes the bags of garbage pile up quickly. With the cloth, you just have to wash them, so that is better.

Cost.  There is a large cost up front, but you make that back with time.  We have one size fits all, so each diaper will expand with the girls.  Depending on the diaper, it can cost between 15 and 25 bucks for each one. We need about 10 or more diapers per baby.  So the total cost might be somewhere around 500 bucks in the end.  But if you compare that to the cost of buying a 25 to 40 dollar box of disposables ever week or two, you see that quickly you are on the right end.

We have used disposables since we were in the hospital.  The way they bloat up and keep dry is like some sort of dark magic to me.  What chemicals do they contain and how do they work?  I don't really want that kind of voodoo next to my babies genitals.  So cloth is better, and it seems like they won't get a rash.  I like that.

You are supposed to be able to potty train them faster with cloth.  When they get wet, they know it.  The wizardly inside the disposable keeps them dry, so they don't relate pissing their pants with being wet.  We will see with time how this all works out.

Funny how all through time we used cloth diapers, then technology created disposables and that was what people used, and now we are returning to the old ways.

Well, not everyone.  It is pretty hard to do in comparison to using disposables.  When the babies poo, with a disposable, you take it off wrap it up and toss it.  For me, I remove the diaper and then go to the bathroom.  We have a little sprayer that is attached to the water supply for the toilet.  I open the diaper and use the hose to spray off all the loose fecal matter.  My wife informed me I did a shitty job the first few times.  Who knew you needed to wash the diaper before you wash it in the washing machine.

So I stoop over the toilet with the rotten diaper in the bowl spraying every inch of shit off.  Sometimes I get frustrated and just use my hand to scrape the stubborn bits off.  Lovely stuff.  Then once I am satisfied, I try to straighten out my creaky back and transfer the sopping wet diaper into the wet bag and wash my hands and go back to the babies and wait for the next poop explosion.

It can be a bummer.  But my wife things the cloth diapers are really cute.

She doesn't like the poopy diapers.  That is all me.  I guess that is why they call me the Poop Catcher.

No comments:

Post a Comment