Sunday, October 2, 2011

My Wife is a Champion

My wife is breastfeeding our twin girls.  It is an amazing thing for her to have that bond with them.

There are lots of benefits to breastfeeding.
  • Great for the baby. They get everything they need!
  • Free milk! 
  • Easy milk storage. No preparation needed.
  • I don't have to do anything!  
  • I get to see my wife's boobs a lot.
It has not been easy.  

As you might recall from reading all my other blog posts, our twins were born 5 weeks early.  We were in the hospital for 2 weeks.  During that time my wife tried to breastfeed every three hours. 

The girls didn't do it right away.  But she said she would keep trying.  

It was frustrating for her.  She felt rejection every time.  Then I would feed them  with the bottle.

We had so much advice.  Tried every technique.  Most people said it would just work and they were too young, that they would get it eventually.  We had know many people who didn't do it, or who gave up.

During our first trip to the Doctor, we met parents of twin boys.  They were 4 months old.  We told them we were still trying to get the girls to breastfeed.  They laughed.  They said they tried it for 5 weeks, then gave up.  It was so much better they said, just giving a bottle.

Before the girls were actually born I ran into a couple at Toys R Us.  I asked them how it was going.  The father said they drank so much formula, that it was costing him a fortune. 

After 6 weeks, we saw a glimmer of hope.  Twin A started to have some success with the breast.  Then she started doing it all the time.  A few weeks later, her sister joined her.  Eventually they were only drinking from the boob.   Then my wife tried tandem feeding, and while it worked, it was hard.  But with time, they got that too. 

So now when the girls are hungry I grab them and bring them to their mother.  She straps on the twin feeding pillow and they go to town.  They are three champs in my opinion.

We came pretty close to quitting.  It was so frustrating, but we are so glad we stuck with it.  It is awesome.  

My wife is awesome.  It makes my life so much easier.  Remember this was my schedule before. 

Now I can relax when the girls are drinking.  When we go out, we don't need to take anything but my wife's boobs.  I love them even more than I used to.  And that was quite a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment